Whether you choose to grow out your beard or you prefer to stay clean shaven, there is no better way to care for your face than with doTERRA’s essential oils and these DIY recipes!
Free of chemicals, toxins, and other irritating and damaging ingredients, oils can help keep your skin in top shape. Oils like Peppermint, Melaleuca, Sandalwood, Siberian Fir, Douglas Fir, Cedarwood, and Frankincense are included in the following skin and beard care recipes!
GROWING IT OUT
A healthy diet is the key to healthy hair. Maintain a good balance of vitamins like A, B, and E to create a great environment that promotes hair growth!
Facial hair doesn’t always grow out evenly, so a good trim every now and then will help you stay looking clean and sharp! Lots of guys stop growing out facial hair and start shaving because it gets itchy. If a beard is what you want, fight through the itch with the help of soothing doTERRA essential oils.
To keep your beard soft and shiny, it is important you use essential oils to condition the beard. Follow these steps to a soft and shiny beard:
1. Pour a few drops of essential oils into your hands.
2. Work the oils through your beard until you’ve reached the hair tips, making sure that you evenly spread the oil over your beard and the underlying skin.
3. Apply the beard balm or beard oil recipes in this article once a day. For extra shine, first use the beard oil recipe and then the beard balm.
Make sure to wash your beard a few times a week. Always use shampoo (check out doTERRA Salon Essentials Protecting Shampoo)—don’t even think of using bar soap!! This will dry out your beard and the skin underneath. Follow up with some essential oils after your beard is completely dry. Trim your beard about every two months or so to maintain its healthiness. Shaving your neck and the areas around your beard will also keep you looking fresh!
Wash your beard a few times a week. Always use shampoo—don’t even think of using bar soap!! This will dry out your beard and the skin underneath. Follow up with some essential oils after your beard is completely dry. Click To Tweet
This beard oil recipe will work well for all beards, but especially the early or shorter stages of a beard. It will absorb quickly and is perfect for moisturizing the skin.
1 ounce Fractionated Coconut oil
4–5 drops Rosemary oil
3–4 drops Frankincense oil
3–4 drops Siberian Fir oil
3–4 drops Cedarwood oil
1. In a small bottle with an eyedropper cap, add Fractionated Coconut oil.
2. Add Rosemary, Frankincense, Siberian Fir, and Cedarwood essential oils.
3. Place the cap on tightly and shake well.
4. Using your hands or the eyedropper, apply a few drops and massage into the beard.
5. Brush your beard for a finishing touch.
For beards that are medium to long, or if your skin tends to be dry, a balm does not absorb as fast as the beard oil; it will sit longer on your beard and skin for longer-lasting moisture and extra shine. The thickness of the balm also works as a styling agent to help you shape and tame your beard.
2 teaspoons Beeswax
1 teaspoon Shea Butter
½ teaspoon Vitamin E oil
3 teaspoons Fractionated Coconut Oil
2 drops Cedarwood oil
2 drops Melaleuca oil
2 drops Rosemary oil
1. Combine all ingredients aside from essential oils in glass container.
2. Place jar in saucepan with 1–2 inches of boiling water.
3. Stir ingredients until melted and thoroughly combined.
4. Remove from heat and let rest 3 minutes.
5. Add essential oils and stir. Pour mixture into empty tin or glass jar with lid.
6. Let balm rest 1–2 hours.
KEEPING IT SHAVED
Wet Your Beard Thoroughly
Hair absorbs water well, especially warm water. After several minutes your hair becomes weaker, which is better for shaving. Showering before shaving is the best way to ensure your beard is properly moistened. This will also help your razor blade last longer. If a shower is not possible, rinse your face, then apply a warm moistened towel for a couple of minutes.
Use Shaving Cream
The main purpose of shaving cream is to lubricate your face so that the razor will glide easily and smoothly across your skin. Leave the shaving cream on your face for at least a minute before you begin shaving so that your beard has a chance to get as soft as possible. I recommend using a shaving brush, because it helps create a rich, creamy lather with the shaving cream that stays close to the skin. It also exfoliates, which reduces the chance of blemishes and potential razor bumps. Apply the shaving cream in a circular motion ending in an upward stroke to help lift the hair up and away from the face.
Use High-Quality Razors
Always use a good quality, sharp razor blade. A dull blade is harmful to the skin and is an underlying factor to razor burn and any resulting shaving rash. Make sure your razor is up-to-date. When shaving, always make sure to shave with the grain. Start with the sides, then the mustache area, and last the chin. The chin hairs are the toughest, so this allows them the most time to soften under the shaving cream. Rinse your blade under hot water before you begin to shave and after every few passes.
Dry and Soothe After Shaving
When you just finish shaving your skin is at its most vulnerable. Rinse your face with warm water and apply HD Clear® to cleanse the pores. Afterward, pat dry (never rub dry) with a clean towel.
Finish Off with Aftershave Lotion
Due to the irritating nature of shaving, it is important to always follow up with an aftershave lotion. The ingredients in the below Razor Relief Serum are great for most skin types. It is important to find an aftershave that works with you. You can experiment with different essential oils to find your own serum.
⅓ cup shea butter
⅓ cup raw coconut oil
¼ cup Fractionated Coconut oil
5 drops Sandalwood oil
5 drops Peppermint oil
5 drops Melaleuca oil
1. Place all ingredients except for essential oils in double boiler.
2. Once melted, remove from heat and let sit 3 minutes.
3. Add essential oils and stir until combined.
4. Let shaving cream rest until hard. Tip: Put it in the refrigerator to speed up the cooling process.
5. Using mixer, whip shaving cream until light and fluffy.
6. Place in container of choice.