This year, Spring Cleaning takes on a whole new meaning now that you don’t ever have to expose yourself to harmful or toxic cleaning chemicals again! So put away your surgical mask and rubber gloves, because cleaning just got a whole lot more fun!
Let’s talk about some natural ingredients that we can use to make safer (AND CHEAPER!) cleaners.
Create your own non-toxic, all-natural solution household cleaners with these supplies, many of which are probably sitting around your home already!
• baking soda
• borax (available in any laundry aisle)
• castile soap
• white vinegar
• cream of tartar (available in the spice aisle)
• Essential Oils
Now let’s dive into some recipes!
1. AIR FRESHENER
• Add to a mason jar.
• Cover with cheesecloth or canning lid with holes.
• Place the jar around your home.
• You can use the same recipe as a carpet freshener. Vacuum after 10 minutes.
2. WOOD POLISH
• Add ingredients to an 8oz glass spray bottle.
• Spray to protect wood furniture and wood floors.
• Arborvitae is great for preserving wood.
3. HOMEMADE BLEACH
1/4 cup filtered water
1/4 cup hydrogen peroxide (3% solution)
1/2 TBS lemon juice
3 drops Lemon
• Add Lemon to a 4 oz colored glass bottle.
• Add peroxide and lemon juice.
• Add water. Shake well.
• Lasts 2-3 months if stored out of sunlight.
4. GLASS CLEANER
• Add ingredients to a 16oz dark colored, glass spray bottle.
5. DISH SOAP
• Add ingredients to a mason jar.
• Secure a pump top by using a canning lid.
• Use 1-2 tbs to each load of dishes.
Create your own non-toxic, all-natural solution household cleaners for spring with these supplies, many of which are probably sitting around your home already! Click To Tweet
6. FRUIT AND VEGGIE WASH
1 cup filtered water
3/4 cup organic apple cider vinegar
1 tbs baking soda
10 drops Lemon
• Add Lemon essential oil to a 16oz glass spray bottle.
• Add baking soda.
• Add water VERY SLOWLY.
• Spray on produce and let sit for a few minutes.
• Rinse well with cold water. Let dry.
7. FABRIC SOFTENER
• Combine ingredients.
• Add 1/2 cup to your fabric softener dispenser.
8. DRYER BALLS
• Wrap yarn into four tight balls. Tie the ends.
• Put the balls into pantyhose.
• In between each ball, tie with embroidery floss.
• Drop into wash. Wash in hot water. Dry in dryer.
• Repeat a couple of times to complete felt process.
• Remove from pantyhose.
• Add your favorite essential oil every 5 loads. Throw into dryer with laundry.
9. TOILET BOMBS
1 1/3 cup baking soda
1/2 cup citric acid (found in canning aisle)
2 tbs witch hazel
30 drops Lemon
30 drops another
30 drops another
• Add oils and witch hazel to a spray bottle.
• Oil suggestions: Lavender and Peppermint; Purify and Lime; Wild Orange and On Guard.
• Spray oils onto the powder mix slowly until wet.
• Place into silicone molds for 6 hours.
• Put one bomb in the toilet before bed.
• Swish clean in the morning.
• You can also use this recipe for shower bombs for occasional sniffles. Just add appropriate oils.
10. HAND SOAP
• Pour soap and carrier oil into a foaming hand soap container.
• Add your favorite essential oil!
• Add filtered water, leaving enough room for the pump.
• Use a quality plastic container, or use a mason jar as we did for the dish soap recipe.
Bonus! ON GUARD LAUNDRY DETERGENT
Another great addition to your laundry room is this natural based, ultra-concentrated 6X laundry detergent that utilizes the power of the On Guard Protective Blend and bio-originated enzymes to target and lift stains for amazingly clean clothes.
This small bottle packs a punch with 10 mL of this blend of essential oils and the ability to do up to 64 loads of laundry! It is color safe for washable fabrics at all temperatures and is free of synthetic fragrances, dyes, and toxins, which makes it a safe choice for your family as well as the environment.